Sunday, 22 November 2009

Redbridge CON-sultation?

I was at the Area 3 meeting at Fulwell Library on Wednesday 18th November (remember that date) and, as usual the Councillors were blathering away, wringing their hands and bemoaning the loss of Green Space in the Borough and the encroachment of the Parking charges across our green and pleasant spaces.

In a pile on the table at the back, and scattered on some chairs, was this survey:

In the middle of my usual berating the Councillors for their spurious concepts of "public consultation", I mentioned the survey. They were clearly unaware of it - I had to go to the back table and distribute it amongst the Area Committee.

While I praised the Council for embarking on such a survey, I also pointed out that, at the end of the survey, along the bottom, the words: "Please return by Friday 30th October......"

But then, that's what passes for "Consultation" with this Borough Council, isn’t it?. [[What's the bloody point, honestly?]].

11 comments:

  1. Perhaps the Cabinet Member for Leisure, his two predecessors, and the Chief Leisure Officer would all benefit from a change of career. Certainly if they did so the borough would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested to know the reaction of the Area Committee to the points you raised.

    Is this "consultation" invalidated by the stated date or isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear, that gives me a lot of confidence! I hope to be at the area 4 meeting on Tuesday evening - my first attendance at such an event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a date, Mark?
    Area 4 rarely matches Area 3. However, the last Area 4 meeting was exceptional due to a Public Participation address from a well-known member of the public,... from Area 3.
    So, you never know, you might be thrown in at the deep end!
    annesevant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that's highly likely to be a definite yes for me to attend Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mark,
    I will talk in public participation.
    Will you?
    annesevant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Staying on topic here - one thing that is on my mind is the littering and leaving of food in public parks in Redbridge. I might say something about this as a responsible dog owner. Is that too contriversial or has it been brought up before?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This subject of food littering public parks and being a risk for dogs is new to me but this is not proof it has not been aired before, of course.
    I am still a learner but I think that it would be good if you could link the problem specifically to a park in Area 4 first and then generalise to other parks if you wish and, remember, two minutes and then they shoot you. (Except if they like you!)
    Also, pre-empting a possible reply, they might say that you should not allow your dog of the leash anyway!
    Be prepared!
    annesevant

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks Anne, food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, ha, ha!
    I hope it's alright to leave food for thought on this blog without being in trouble!
    Anyway, my other half was suggesting that simply fining the offenders was not a proper deterrent. He would make the culprits do some tasks, like making the pavements in Barkingside spotless clean. For example, opposite the library, by the bus stops, where the pavement is a disgrace (chewing gum and cigarettes ends) and give a paid holiday to the person(s) having to perform this thankless task for a living.
    annesevant

    ReplyDelete